Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Tinkerer's Daughter - Jamie Sedgwick


Q: What will e-readers like about your book?

“The Tinkerer’s Daughter” is a different take on the fantasy genre. It’s a young adult novel with a female hero, and the main character is an outcast because she’s biracial. Her parents came from two different nations (elves and humans) and those two nations have been at war for one thousand years. It’s even got a little bit of steampunk, though I wouldn’t definitively call it that.

Q: Why did you go indie?

I received positive feedback from agents and editors for several years. I got notes with phrases like: “I like your work, but…” or “Your writing is great but the market is competitive…” What it came down to, was that my writing didn’t easily fit into any definable pop category. Agents and editors know they’re looking for certain marketability. That might be “chick lit” or “cozy mysteries” but none of those are exactly what I write. I believe that when you write to a certain market, it usually shows in your writing. The pop literature of one hundred years ago is all but forgotten, while most books we consider classics were commercial failures and –in today’s markets- would probably never have been published. The fantastic thing about the digital age is that the gatekeepers are gone. My success or failure can only be determined by the people who read my books. It’s all in the hands of the authors and their readers.


Q: Who are your favorite authors in your genre?

I’ve always been a Tolkien fan, ever since I read “The Hobbit” when I was nine. There are so many great writers in fantasy now, and so many genres and sub-genres that it’s impossible to name them all. I love traditional high fantasy, but I also enjoy the experimental work that writers have done in the last few years. “The Tinkerer’s Daughter” wouldn’t have been possible if someone else hadn’t come up with the idea of steampunk.  


Where to buy:


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for giving me this opportunity and helping me get the word out about my books. For those who are interested but don't have a Kindle or other e-reader, "The Tinkerer's Daughter" and the rest of my books will all be available in paperback this April. Check my blog or Amazon profile for more info!

    ReplyDelete