Monday, October 17, 2011

The Extraordinary Adventure of Ordinary Alice - Rebecca Rivinius

I'm a new author who is also a stay-at-home mom and a proud Air Force wife of eight years.  I was born and raised on a farm in North Dakota and I currently live in Florida.  My love affair with books began pretty much the moment I learned to read.  In my spare time, when I'm not reading, I'm usually cooking.  Sometimes I try to do both at the same time!  The first thing I ever wrote was a story for my son.  One day, my husband and I were talking about writing and I said, "I could never write a full length novel!"  I had challenged myself without even realizing it.  The moment the words were out of my mouth, I knew I had to try and I immediately began writing THE EXTRAORDINARY ADVENTURE OF ORDINARY ALICE.
In THE EXTRAORDINARY VENTURE OF ORDINARY ALICE, Alice, a wife and stay-at-home mother to three boys under the age of nine, is content with her regular and somewhat boring routine.  She is not looking forward to her family’s vacation in a beach house in Mexico because she knows all too well how complicated things can get with three small children.  Therefore, she is hardly surprised when an array of funny mishaps occurs.  But what Alice is not expecting is to be caught up in the life of the mysterious artist who lives down the beach.  This encounter forces her to discover how she truly feels about herself and the life she has created.  Alice is given the opportunity to determine the answer to the question that lies deep within us all—Are we truly happy?
Q: What will e-readers like about your book?
I think e-readers will enjoy the fact that they can relate to the main character.  As the title suggests, Alice is an ordinary person.  I wanted to create a character where anyone who reads about her can say "Oh my god, that's me" at some point in the book.
Q: Why did you go indie?
I decided to go indie after attending a conference about publishing children's books.  A main theme throughout the conference was how the publishing world is currently in turmoil and the difficulties authors are facing with a traditional publisher.  I felt very defeated.  The reason I wrote this book was to share my story with family, friends, and all the people out there who I knew would be able to relate to Alice's story.  Going "indie" seemed to be the best way to accomplish that goal.
Q: Who are your favorite authors in your genre?
I love so many books by so many different authors.  And different genres serve different purposes for me.  When I need to laugh, I pick up Sophie Kinsella.  When I want to think, I pick up Jodi Picoult.  The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden, and Sister by Rosamund Lupton are also three of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment