Saturday, September 25, 2010

Noah Mullette-Gillman-- The White Hairs

Noah Mullette-Gillman was born in Montclair, New Jersey. He spent his childhood there, as well as in the town of Manly, Australia, and the woods of Upstate New York. He earned a multidisciplinary degree in Philosophy and Creative Writing at Bard College in Annandale-on-Hudson, New York.
His favorite color is blue.
His favorite number is 8.


The White Hairs is the adventure of a white furry creature named Farshoul. It opens with him learning to leave his body and traveling through the skies astrally for the first time. When he gets back into his body, his people tell him that he failed and imagined the whole thing.

He tries again, on his own, and encounters monsters, giants, and all sorts of terrors which do not fit with what his people have taught him one sees when traveling outside of their body. His adventures damage him, in a way that he may never recover from...

It's a work of spiritual mythology. My hope is that the reader will experience Farshoul's loss and isolation with him, and that then when he fights to get back what he has lost, it will inspire similar action in their own lives.

Q: What will e-readers like about your book?

Review after review has commented on the soft, steady, and flowing voice I use to tell the story. More than that, I hope they respond to reading a fantasy story that actually is new. It isn't a re-hash or re-imagining of stories they've read dozens of times. This is something new under the sun!

I also hope they feel a real affection for Farshoul. What he goes through is extraordinary. That he is able to pull himself together after his complete failure to fit into their society is a really staggering accomplishment.

Q: Why did you go indie?

I spent several years working on a long novel that I was immensely proud of. I put all of my hopes and dreams into it. When I was done, I thought it was a masterpiece. As it turns out, I had made a major mistake: I'd written a 500 word SINGLE SPACED novel! (250,000 words!) So, really a thousand page book.

All the same I did manage to interest some agencies in looking it over. They were very complimentary and actually read the first couple of hundred pages, but then said they wanted to read my NEXT book. This was discouraging, and I had a hard time writing for about a year.

I then learned about the indie publishing phenomenon. The White Hairs was the story I had written immediately prior to the long work. I had never submitted it anywhere, and as a couple of years went by I was becoming more and more fond of it. So, I decided to put it out into the world and see what people thought!

So far the reviews have been very kind. But more than that, they seem to really understand what I was trying to do! That's the best part!

Q: Who are your favorite authors in your genre?

Neil Gaiman, Paulo Coelho, Doris Lessing, Phillip K Dick, Stephen Donaldson, Alexandro Jodorowsky, the list goes on and on.... I read more non-fiction than fiction and a vast amount of ancient mythology from all over the world. I love to find a big fat volume with a title like the Myths of Scandinavia, or Wales, or Korea... and just read it from cover to cover!
I'm not looking for ideas to steal, but rather to learn how to think like they did and aim for similar targets as they were aiming for. My hope is that my work will be entertaining, but not just entertaining.

I appreciate authors with a real creativity work ethic; who aren't just satisfied having one idea for each story or celebrating their past work. I appreciate most the writers who are constantly competing against their old ideas and stories!

Link to web site or blog or Amazon/Smashwords

www.noahmullette-gillman.com

$2.99 download Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/The-White-Hairs-ebook/dp/B003WJRHXY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1280034937&sr=1-1
$14.99 paperback at Lulu.com
http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/the-white-hairs/11272974
###

1 comment:

  1. I definitely recommend this book to all who happen to browse upon this site. It's a spiritual journey with a heartwarming message.

    Check it out. It's worth the time.

    ReplyDelete