Monday, February 14, 2011

CH Bunn-- The Hawk and the Boy

The Hawk And His Boy is the first book of the Tormay trilogy. It begins with a young thief named Jute. There's nothing special about him, other than a knack for being quiet and having quick hands. One night, his masters in the Thieves Guild instruct him to break into a wizard's house and steal an old wooden box. They have a client for the job who is eager to pay a lot of gold for the box. It should've been an easy job. Climb down the chimney, find the box, and get out fast. His master tells him, on pain of death, do not open the box. Of course, being a boy, Jute opens the box and sets off a chain of events that soon has him on the run from the wizard, the entire Thieves Guild, and their client, who happens to be the Lord of Darkness himself. Jute is aided by an odd assortment of friends, including a guilt-ridden assassin, an overly-talkative ghost, and a hawk who just might be able to teach him how to fly. But the Darkness will do anything to find Jute, even if it means plunging the whole land of Tormay into war.

I've worked on six of the seven continents. I've done construction in the Amazon, relief work for the United Nations in Thailand, television documentaries in Australia, interactive animation production in Chicago, orphanage consulting in Ethiopia, and I've worked as a cook in Switzerland. Currently, I work on a farm in central coast California.

Readers will enjoy The Hawk And His Boy if they want some old-fashioned escapism. The story is a fantasy adventure, full of danger, odd characters, mysterious evil, action, and a hint of romance. 

I went indie for several reasons. First, the ease of the internet as a marketing medium. Second, I'm not interested in spending years in agents' slush-piles. Third, I don't want to lose control of my books. Fourth, I love the indie community; it's full of wonderful people telling great stories that, pre-internet, would never have been read by other people. Fifth, I work on a farm. Farmers don't wait for anything except the weather. That mentality has affected how I view publishing.

My favorite authors in the fantasy genre are Tolkien, Lewis, MacDonald, and Chesterton.

The Hawk And His Boy can be found at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004DCB5SC/

No comments:

Post a Comment