Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Jessica Barksdale Inclan- The Only Thing I See

Jessica's debut novel Her Daughter's Eyes was a final nominee for the YALSA Award, and many of her novels have been published in several languages. A recipient of the CAC Artist’s Fellowship in Literature, Jessica teaches literature, creative writing and mythology at colleges, universities, seminars and workshops throughout the U.S. A full-time writer, she lives in Oakland, California. For more information on Jessica, please visit www.jessicabarksdaleinclan.com.  Meet the author in this fun videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51jpAB7OnoA

Q&A:

Q: What will e-readers like about your book?
 
Personally, I think e-readers will like that they are getting a Jessica Barksdale Inlcan book for 2.99.  I suppose that's the bottom line, but it's true.  And also, I think that readers will like they are getting a book that I have certainly edited but a book that has not been effected by the ideas of "platform" or "market."  This is simply a story I really wanted to tell.
 
Q: Why did you go indie?
 
Back in 2001, my first novel Her Daughter’s Eyes was published by NAL to enough acclaim and showed a good sales record. My traditional career has continued since then (I have had romances come out 2006-2010), but I am really very excited about publishing myself.  People can read work that slipped through the publishing cracks, but it is work that I believe in and stand by, work that “my” readers would recognize and love.  Maybe New York doesn’t want them, but enough people do that I will continue to publish myself as the situation presents itself.  Fellow writers have warned me that I’m diluting my “brand,” but I’m sick of that idea.  I started to write because I wanted to tell stories that people wanted to read.  And they are reading my stories, even if they are indie books, even if they aren’t traditional.  Even if there is a heart attack, right there, on the page.
 
Q: Who are your favorite authors in your genre?
 
I am a big fan of many authors, not all in my genre.  Actually, since I write contemporary fiction and romance, I'm actually not sure what my genre is!  But I love Anita Shreve, Jodi Piccoult, Julia Glass, John Irving, and just about anyone else who can tell a good
tale.
###

No comments:

Post a Comment