Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Keith Brooke-- Embrace: Tales from the Dark Side

Keith Brooke: Since 1989 I've had around 80 short stories published around the world, and a dozen novels from major commercial publishers, including Penguin and Gollancz; movie options include one with the people who made the Bridget Jones films. For ten years I ran the online genre fiction showcase infinity plus, publishing work by Jack Vance, Connie Willis, Michael Moorcock and Stephen Baxter and others.

Embrace collects eleven horror and dark fantasy stories, each with a new afterword. Revisit the haunts of your youth, retell the story of your life, embrace your inner demons. Listen to the voices, go on... This book is part of a bigger project to republish much of my short fiction, which also includes the e-collections Liberty Spin, Segue, Faking It and Memesis.

Q: What will e-readers like about your book?
Well I've been lucky enough to receive some wonderful praise for my short fiction. Jeff VanderMeer says, 'Keith Brooke's prose achieves a rare honesty and clarity, his characters always real people, his situations intriguing and often moving'; Locus magazine says I'm 'in the recognized front ranks of SF writers.' I hope others will feel likewise! I'm probably most widely known as a science-fiction author, but I've always returned to dark and atmospheric horror, often set around the seaside town where I grew up. Embrace collects these stories together for the first time, with tales ranging from full-on horror to gentler, more subtle stories of childhood and the power of imagination.

Q: Why did you go indie?
I've always been closely associated with indie publishing. I've had novels and collections published by excellent indie presses such as PS Publishing and Immanion. In the case of these ebooks, the timing seemed right to relaunch infinity plus as an ebook imprint. It runs along the same lines as the original infinity plus: a bunch of authors getting together to explore independent electronic publishing; we have other books either out or coming soon from Eric Brown, Anna Tambour, Garry Kilworth, John Grant and others.

Q: Who are your favorite authors in your genre?
Far too many to name individually! I love fiction that moves me, defies the boundaries, excites me, stops me in my tracks and makes me think... I've spent the last twenty years intimately involved in publishing, and in genre fiction in particular. It's my life. It's what I do.

http://www.keithbrooke.co.uk/ebooks/embrace.htm
###

No comments:

Post a Comment